We provide ongoing education and training to ensure the safety, quality, and compliance of all research conducted at Island Health.
Education and Training
We offer education and training through annual events like Five Days in May, Knowledge-to-Action Month every November, and through monthly Research Rounds and collaborative events with academic and community partners.
- To learn about upcoming educational events, check out our Events and Updates.
- View recordings of previous events on our Vimeo channel.
Island Health offers employees and affiliated health professionals free access to online training courses.
Take free online training through the CITI Program!
To access CITI training, register for an account using "Vancouver Island Health Authority" as your organizational affiliation.
Available courses include:
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP). GCP training is mandatory for the conduct of clinical trials.
- Responsible Conduct of Research: Life and Physical Sciences
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods/International Air Transport Association
- Basic Biomedical Research: Ethics
- Basic Social and Behavioural Research: Ethics
The TCPS 2: CORE (Course on Research Ethics) is an introduction to the 2nd edition of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2). It consists of eight modules and is applicable to all research, regardless of discipline or methodology. All researchers who intend to engage in research with human participants must take this training.
Take the TCPS 2 CORE Tutorial online.
Quality and Compliance
Island Health is governed by key policies and procedures to ensure all research is efficient, high-quality and regulatory-compliant. Compliance is also monitored through a risk-based audit program.