We want your MyVirtualVisit appointment to be a success. This page contains steps for joining your scheduled MyVirtualVisit appointment and testing your connection.
Tips to Ensure a Successful Appointment
Before your virtual visit appointment
Your device should be no more than 5 years old and running the latest operating system. Your computer, laptop, tablet or smart phone needs to have a camera, microphone and speaker. Your device will support MyVirtualVisit appointments if you are able to:
- Watch a video on YouTube® or Netflix®, and
- Use Skype®, FaceTime®, WhatsApp® video call or any other video platform
Your virtual visit may require you to download our virtual care application. Ensure you have the required application for your chosen device prior to your appointment.
At the time of your virtual visit appointment
- Join your appointment 5-10 minutes ahead of time to allow time to test your connection and get technical help if needed.
- Have your BC Services Card or driver's licence with Personal Health Number (PHN) available to confirm your identity.
- Your provider will join you when they are ready to start your appointment.
- Do not navigate away from the waiting room or lock your device while waiting to be connected. If your device goes to sleep or is locked while you wait, you may need to join again from your original invitation.
- Sit a few feet (one metre) away from your camera, and avoid bright lights or other distracting objects behind you.
- Plug-in mobile devices and tablets to ensure you don’t run out of battery power during your consult.
- Be aware of your data plan. Using virtual care tools on a cellular connection may result in extra charges from your telecommunications provider. We recommend connecting to your home Internet.
Step 1. Email or SMS notification
You will receive an appointment invitation via email or SMS text message that contains appointment information and a link to your scheduled appointment.
*If you do not have the InTouch Patient app on your device, you will be prompted to download it at this point. See Downloading the MyVirtualVisit App for more information.
Sample email invitation
Sample Text Message
Don’t see the email? Check your junk or spam folders.
Do not share your MyVirtualVisit email/SMS invitation with others. This is intended just for you to access your appointment.
Step 2: Test your audio, video and internet connection
Testing your connection on a desktop or laptop
Before being placed into the Virtual Waiting Room, you will be promoted to test your audio, video and internet connection to ensure your device is ready to go. You may see a prompt to allow access to your camera and microphone, select “Allow”. Your audio/video and internet connection is good if:
A) You can see yourself in the video window
B) When you speak, you see a green line lighting up.
C) Your connection is stable if you see a green check mark next to the Connectivity Test after a few moments.
If you need to change your video or audio source use the dropdown menu next to the camera and microphone icon.
If all tests are successful, click "Proceed" to enter the waiting room.
If you required support, please contact us at 1-844-442-4433 Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m (excluding Statutory Holidays).
Testing your connection on a mobile device (iPhone/iPad)
Click "Test Connection". Your connection is successful if you see this message:
Step 3. Virtual Waiting Room
You are now in the Virtual Waiting Room, your provider will connect shortly.
Keep this window open! Do not close your browser, navigate away or lock your device while you wait for your provider to connect.
Here's what the waiting room looks like:
Step 4. Virtual Appointment Begins
Here is an example of what your screen will look like when your provider joins you in the Virtual Waiting Room.
During Your Appointment
- Your provider will ask you to identify yourself, and any other people that may be attending the appointment with you.
- For your safety, your provider may ask for your address or location at the start of your appointment.
- If you feel uncomfortable with the virtual visit at any time, please tell your provider. Your appointment can be rescheduled to happen over the telephone, in a telehealth room, or in-person.
What to do if your appointment is accidentally disconnected
If you end the call by mistake, click the link in your appointment email or SMS text message to re-join. If that doesn’t work, contact your provider’s office and ask them to send you another appointment invitation.
If your provider ends the call by mistake, stay in the Virtual Waiting Room until they re-join.
Technical Support and General Inquiries
For urgent help with your connection, joining your appointment or even finding your appointment email contact our help desk at 1-844-442-4433 Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m (excluding Statutory Holidays).
General questions about the service? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact your provider’s office if you have questions about your appointment or need to reschedule.