North Island Hip and Knee Centre
We believe it is important for you to get the best care, support, and outcome possible. Our main goals at the Hip and Knee Centre are to:
- Reduce your wait time for hip or knee replacement surgery.
- Support you – from your first appointment with us, all the way to recovery.
- Make sure you understand everything you need to know and do to get ready for and recover from your surgery.
The North Island Hip and Knee Centre is located at both the Comox Valley and Campbell River campuses of the North Island Hospital. We serve the Comox Valley, Campbell River, Courtenay, Strathcona, and Mount Waddington areas.
Please note the North Island Hospital Hip and Knee Centre cannot accept referrals for patients who:
- Need more surgery on previous hip and knee replacements
- Are covered by WorkSafe BC
- Need emergency procedures
For those patients not living in the North Island Hospital catchment area:
- In Greater Victoria see Rebalance MD New Joint Patient Journey
- In all other Vancouver Island communities, please contact your primary care provider
Choosing a surgeon
You have options for which surgeon will do your surgery. You will review these options and make the decision with your primary care provider before you are referred to the North Island Hospital Hip and Knee Centre.
The option you choose may affect your wait time before surgery.
Your options are:
- The first available appropriate surgeon at either Campbell River or Comox Valley hospital. This option will often result in shorter wait times.
- The first available appropriate surgeon at the hospital closest to where you live (in Campbell River or Comox Valley).
- A specific surgeon who you want to do the surgery, from the list below. Please note that the wait time may vary if you choose this option.
The surgeons who may perform your surgery are:
|Dr. D. Botsford||Dr. T. Tung|
|Dr. M. Loewen||Dr. T. Woods|
|Dr. A. Crosby||Dr. J. Van Sittert|
Your North Island Hip and Knee Centre team
The health care professionals who will support you at the Hip and Knee Centre include:
- Your patient navigator, who will help you “navigate” through your care journey – from before surgery to when you are discharged by answering questions and explaining anything that is not clear.
- The booking clerk, who supports communication between your care team, ensures that your referral for surgery is complete and sends information to the surgeon’s office.
- Your physiotherapist, who ensures that you are physically ready for your surgery and supports your recovery after the surgery.
- Your orthopedic surgeon, who performs the total joint replacement surgery.
General Information on Hip and Knee Centre - North Island Hospital
Your primary care provider (e.g., family doctor, nurse practitioner) needs to complete a referral form and send it to the Hip and Knee Centre to get you an appointment with us.
We will review the referral and phone you to come in for an assessment. At this assessment we will make sure you are fit for surgery and ask you some questions. This will help the surgeon decide if surgery is right for you, or if there are other treatments that are better for you.
When you meet with a surgeon, he or she will confirm that surgery is right for you and talk more with you about the surgery.
Please write down any questions you have about the surgery, and bring them to this appointment.
You can also view a diagram of your journey at the Hip and Knee Centre, which shows you everything from your visit with your primary care provider through to recovery.
We are located within the Wellness Centre at:
Address: 375-2nd Avenue, Campbell River, BC V9W 3V1
Tel.: 250-286-7100 ext. 67842
Address: 101 Lerwick Road, Courtenay, BC V9N 0B9
Tel.: 250-331-5900 ext. 65179
Knowing how long the wait is for hip or knee replacement surgery might help you decide if you want surgery, or which option to choose for who does the surgery.
Check the BC Surgical Wait Times Website to get an idea of how long it might take to get your surgery done.