About the Pain Program
Pain medicine specializes in identifying pain sources and restoring function.
These results are achieved when professional care providers work in a team with the patient, family, and primary family physician and focus on realistic goals.
The Pain Program's clinics are staffed with professionals dedicated to alleviating pain and helping patients live active and rewarding lives.
The Pain Program uses the most efficient and effective current practices from many disciplines to treat the patient as a whole.
- Referral Forms
Please refer to our individual locations to learn more.
The following vision, mission, values, and goals guide the Pain Program in our treatment of all types of pain.
- Our Vision
An Island-wide program that provides evidence based, interdisciplinary services to those living with pain, in order to help patients live to their optimum potential.
- Our Mission
As an emerging new service, to become fully integrated within Island Health and become a pain management resource for physicians, staff and patients.
- Our Values
- Patient-centred care
- Patients as knowledgeable partners in their care
- Collaboration and respect within an interdisciplinary team
- The pursuit of excellence in service
- The pursuit of knowledge
- Support for research
- Building relationships within the organization and communities, reaching out to support practitioners in every discipline
- Our Goals
- To provide assessment and treatment to those living with pain
- To provide education and skills in self-management to those living with pain
- To increase the awareness of pain within Island Health
- To provide resources to other professionals in the treatment of pain
- To increase our knowledge of the treatment of pain through education and research
- To monitor treatment outcomes To partner with community services
Who We Are
The Pain Program’s interdisciplinary team consists of clerical staff, anesthesiologists, a psychiatrist, an otolaryngology pain physician, pharmacists, nurses, occupational and physical therapists, and social workers.
With medical professionals from many disciplines, the Pain Program strives to provide holistic pain management to its patients.
The Clinical Centre teams consist of:
- Three anesthesiologists per site
- Physicians with specialized pain knowledge including a psychiatrist and otolaryngologist
- A clinical nurse educator
- Clinical nurse leaders
- Registered nurses
- Social workers
- Occupational therapists
- Clerical staff