Nanaimo Regional General Hospital PES in Nanaimo
PES is accessible 24 hours/day, 7 days/week to provide specialized emergency psychiatric and substance use care to adults experiencing emergent mental health and substance use-related crises, in alignment with legislative requirements of the Mental Health Act.
Types of Services Offered
- Thorough and rapid specialized assessment, crisis management, and initiation of treatment for mental health and substance use-related crises
- Diagnosis, support and education, and crisis intervention:
- De-escalation and symptom management
- Medication initiation
- Recovery planning
- Review of individuals’ existing resources/support networks in the community
- Substance-use screening, risk assessment, and determination of the most appropriate intervention including harm reduction services
- Referrals to the most appropriate level of care, including inpatient admission or referral to outpatient services and community resources
- Safety and discharge planning
- No referral is necessary to come to the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital; transfers to PES are determined by the Emergency Room Physician following assessment
- Adults 17 years or older experiencing emergent mental health and/or substance use-related crises
How to Access
- Go to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
- Speak to the Emergency Triage nurse who will assess current emergency health needs
- Remain in the main Emergency Department for further assessment and treatment for any physical health conditions
- The Emergency Department physician will determine if a patient is to be assessed by a psychiatrist (not every patient who presents to PES will be assessed by a psychiatrist).
If you are in a situation that involves immediate risk of harm to self or others, please call 9-1-1.
As always, please remember to use your EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT wisely.