Built in 2004 this apartment building is for seniors 55+ or younger people on disability benefits.
Access to subsidized assisted living units is through a Community Health Services assessment.
Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized units. For more information on subsidized residential care, contact an Island Health Community Health Services office near you.
For information on market units, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
506 Grafton St
Greater Victoria Housing Society
Publicly Subsidized Units: 39 (12 Assisted Living)
Private-Pay Units: 0
Built in 2004 this apartment building is for seniors 55+ or younger people on disability benefits. The building was developed by the Esquimalt Lions Seniors Housing Society and is operated by the Greater Victoria Housing Society. The building is three stories with two elevators for access and has a landscaped patio-garden area outside the main floor dining area.
The building has a lounge for the use of all residents and a dining area for the assisted living residents. The building has a garden, laundry room and secure underground parking.
Tenants must be 55+ years of age or be a person with a disability.
This building enjoys views of the harbour and is close to shops on Esquimalt Road. The property is near the St. Paul's Church area of Esquimalt. There is a bus stop at the front of the building and the neighbourhood has accessible sidewalks.
Language, Culture or Religious Affiliation
Philosophy of Care
Our building offers a unique opportunity to enjoy the services of assisted living, while socializing and interacting with tenants who live completely independently.
Type of Accommodation
- single or Double Occupancy
- one-bedroom suites with balconies and full kitchen facilities
- full kitchen with regular sized appliances and large in-suite storage
- each suite has an in-suite storage area
- walk-in showers and grab rails mounted for safety
- tenants can install washers/dryers in units
- two purpose built wheelchair-accessible apartments are available on the main floor
Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income which covers:
- monthly rental accommodation
- hospitality services: two meals and two snacks daily, weekly housekeeping, linen, etc.
- personal care
- on-site emergency response system
Residents on income assistance pay a flat rate. Items not included as a part of the monthly fee include: telephone, personal laundry, household and toiletry supplies, medications, personal care products and insurance.
Special Recreational Opportunities
An activity program is offered every weekday afternoon. Activities are planned in consultation with the residents and include crafts, games, movies, music appreciation. All the residents of the building have the opportunity to participate in a morning coffee club in the lounge.
- two handicapped-accessible units
- 10 adaptable units
- manual or power wheelchairs in two wheelchair units only
- use of mobility aids in dining room allowed
Motorized Scooter Policy
Permitted – secure parking space provide in parking garage.
No smoking anywhere on the property – no smoking area provided on the grounds.
- no special security features
- all entrance doors are locked and non-residents gain entry by using the enter-phone
- pendant-style personal alarm system providing 24 hour emergency response
Any Other Amenities
For those who are still interested in cooking, our assisted living apartments have full kitchens. There is a laundry room on site for personal laundry. There is a secure scooter parking area and a garden for residents to enjoy. The building and garden are smoke-free.