The Urgent Medical Assessment Clinic (UMAC) is a hospital-based internal medicine clinic intended for urgent and semi-urgent referrals. We have sites at both the Victoria General Hospital and Royal Jubilee Hospital. UMAC accepts referrals from both Emergency Departments as well as community primary care and specialty clinics. We also provide ambulatory care teaching to both internal medicine residents and medical students.
The UMAC provides timely and comprehensive medical assessments and care plans for a broad range of clinical issues, including (but not limited to):
- Decompensated or complex chronic diseases (e.g., Liver Disease/abnormal liver enzymes, Congestive Heart Failure, CAD/Vascular Disease, COPD/Asthma, Hypertension, Diabetes, Dyslipidemia, chronic/acute kidney disease)
- Diagnostic workup of dyspnea, chest pain, weight loss/B symptoms, or other unexplained symptom complexes.
- Venous Thrombo-Embolic Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation/other cardiac arrhythmias
- Electrolyte imbalances
- Peri-Operative Assessments
- Urgent Exercise Treadmill Tests
- Post-discharge follow up of complex patients
We aim to discharge patients back to their primary care providers (or other specialists) once diagnostic workup is complete, management plans are in place, and patients have achieved clinical stability. We are unable to offer long-term, longitudinal follow up for stable patients.
We do not accept referrals for chronic pain or chronic fatigue without red flag signs or symptoms that require further investigation. If referrals are deemed more appropriate for another clinic, we will communicate with the referring clinician via fax or phone with alternative recommendations.
In cases where a referral is deemed semi-urgent, we will endeavour to communicate with the referring clinician with recommendations for initial diagnostic testing or management strategies while the patient awaits their appointment.
If urgent advice or an expedited assessment is required, please contact the internal medicine physician on-call via the RACE line.
How to Get Referral
Physician referral required. Patients who have complex medical needs and who require additional assessments under the specialized care of an Internal Medicine Specialist. This may include peri-operative assessments.
Referral Forms (Physician only):
Once we have received your referral we will call you to book an appointment.
Royal Jubilee Hospital
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Victoria General Hospital
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- plan to spend 1-2 hours in the clinic
- the internal specialist will take a detailed medical history and perform a thorough physical exam
- you may be examined by a medical student or resident training in internal medicine
- if you are driving, please allow for extra time as parking space is limited
- if possible please bring your current medications with you and/or a list from your pharmacy
- you may need to have other tests or procedures done which will be arranged for you