Island Health is collaborating to conduct research that will help to identify new treatments and diagnostic tests, and improve care for COVID-19 patients, healthcare providers and communities.
- Clinical Research
Island Health’s Clinical Trials Unit is working closely with physician investigators, clinical teams, pharmacy and lab to bring new treatments to COVID-19 patients on Vancouver Island. These treatments are only available through clinical trials.
Four COVID-19 clinical trials are currently underway at Island Health:
- The CATCO (Canadian Treatment of COVID-19) study compares different drug treatments for patients hospitalized with COVID-19.
- The ATTACC study seeks to reduce the risk of blood clot formation in COVID-19 patients.
- The CONCOR-1 study treats hospitalized patients with convalescent plasma from people who have already recovered from COVID-19.
- The LOVIT study evaluates whether high doses of Vitamin C reduce mortality for septic COVID-19 patients in intensive care.
We’re contributing data on COVID-19 symptoms, outcomes and impact to global observational studies like this Short Period Incidence Study of Severe Acute Respiratory Infection. This data is already improving treatment, and will help us plan for future waves.
We’re working with partners to build a Vancouver Island COVID-19 Biobank. The samples in the bank will help researchers find more effective treatments and understand long-term complications.
- Vancouver Island doctor preparing to experiment with possible COVID-19 treatments
- Victoria doctor joins global trial to find COVID-19 treatment
- COVID-19 Clinical Trials in Canada
- Care, Innovation and Evidence: COVID-19 Research at Island Health
- Victoria Hospitals Foundation Research
- Research to Support Our Communities
We’re collaborating on research that can address urgent needs in our communities by:
- Reducing harm for people who are experiencing substance use issues during the pandemic
- Improving our ability to track COVID-19 cases, prevent spread, and manage future waves with predictive modelling
- Enhancing mental health and resilience for healthcare professionals suffering emotional distress
- Strengthening community services and supports for seniors living at home
- Sign up for our research newsletter to learn more about research that’s happening right here.
- Sign up through REACH BC to be matched with research study opportunities based on your interests and location.
- Sign up through this national portal to learn about COVID-19 trial opportunities.
- Help to improve care and fund research by contributing to the Victoria Hospitals Foundation.
- If you’re interested in conducting COVID-19 research or plan to apply for a COVID-19 research grant, please email email@example.com.