Exercise caution when picking wild mushrooms

Island Health is alerting people in Greater Victoria that there is fruiting of a mushroom that can cause serious poisoning.  Amanita phalloides or “Death Cap” mushroom can cause severe illness and may be lethal if ingested by people and especially children. It is also dangerous to pets. 

While there have been no reports of human poisonings at this time, awareness can help prevent future incidents.

If you suspect that you have consumed a poisonous mushroom:
•    Go to the nearest hospital
•    Call the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre at 1-800-567-8911 or call 911
•    Keep a sample of the mushroom for testing

For more information, see our Seasonal Health Topic: Death Cap Mushrooms.

death cap mushroom