What do we know about cannabis and health, and where do we need more evidence? Learn how cannabis research is unfolding, and get informed about current regional, provincial and national initiatives. Join the conversation on how to move forward together.
- 9:15 - 9:30 am - Dr. Richard Stanwick, Chief Medical Health Officer, Island Health – “Reflections on Cannabis and Public Health”
- 9:30 - 10:00 am - Dr. Karen Urbanoski, Policy Scientist and Canada Research Chair, Canadian Institute of Substance Use Research, UVic – “Cannabis Substitution Programs: Evidence and Possibilities”
- 10:20 - 10:50 am - Rebecca Jesseman, Director of Policy, Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction – “Connecting Research and Policy, and Knowledge Mobilization at the National Level”
- 10:50 - 11:20 am - Dr. Brian Emerson, Deputy Provincial Health Officer (Acting), British Columbia – “BC Cannabis Research Network: Overview of Current and Planned Research in BC”
- 11:50 - 12:20 pm - Dr. Pippa Hawley, Clinical Professor; Head, UBC Division of Palliative Care; Medical Director, Pain & Symptom Management/Palliative Care Program, BC Cancer – “Medical Cannabis Research: A Patient-Centred Approach to Study Design”
- 12:20 - 12:50 pm - Philippe Lucas, Vice President, Global Patient Research and Access, Tilray – “The Force That Through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower: International Medical Cannabis Research”
- 1:10 - 1:40 pm - Richard Jones, Director, Pharmacy Services, Island Health – “From New Law to Clinical Practice: Considerations for Success”
- 1:40 - 2:10 pm - Jean Smart, Regulatory and Quality Officer, Clinical Trials BC/BC Academic Health Science Network – “National Regulations and Guidelines for Cannabis Research”
This event is intended for anyone interested in research around cannabis and its use, including members of the public, healthcare providers, and researchers. It's part of Five Days in May, Island Health's annual health research showcase. Don't miss our other events throughout the month!