Greetings from UBC CampOUT!, a leadership and learning summer camp for queer, trans, Two-Spirit, questioning, and allied youth ages 14-21 from across BC & the Yukon.
Typically, the camp is held on Gambier Island, Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) territory. But, we’ve pivoted to make sure youth are supported during COVID-19 while keeping their communities and elders safe. We are offering fourteen FREE virtual gatherings (through zoom) for queer, trans, and Two-Spirit youth to connect with each other, share knowledge, and learn about 2SLGBTQ+ resources and leadership. Through engaging virtual workshops and activities, youth will make new friends, connect with resources, and inspire each other. Our focus on health, wellness, leadership, and creativity is based on what youth are asking for at this time. CampOUT! participants gain social and life skills, inspiration, and beautiful networks of support! Please display the attached posters and forward this email to the appropriate folks in your organization and community!
If you are a queer, trans, Two-Spirit, Indigiqueer, questioning, or allied youth (2SLGBTQ+) between the ages of 13-21, you are welcome to register for any/all of the virtual CampOUT! gatherings now!
Check out our program guide for this year: https://campout.ubc.ca/come-to-camp-virtual-edition/
- Friday June 4, 6-8pm | Out In Schools from Out On Screen: YOU on screen!
- Monday June 7, 6-8pm | Uncovering Brilliance, Transforming Racism: Mindfulness for QTBIPOC Youth
- Friday June 11, 6-7:30 | Let’s Go Poet!
- Monday June 14, 6-8pm |what the heck is anti oppression?!
- Friday June 18, 1-3pm | Being Grounded in Strangeness
- Saturday June 19, 3-4:30pm | All About Boundaries
- Sunday June 27 | Virtual hike
- Monday June 28, 10:30 – noon | Move Me: DIY Fitness
- Wednesday June 30, 1-3pm | Being Grounded in Strangeness
- Thursday July 1, 1-3pm | Two-Spirit Storytelling
- Friday July 2, 1 – 2:30 | Body Wisdom: Befriending Your Nervous System
- Saturday July 3, 1-2:30 | Let’s Chat About Neurological Disabilities
- Thursday July 22, 3-5pm | Waacking Workshop
- Saturday July 24, 1-3:30pm | Stick it to ’em!
What? CampOUT! is:
- A leadership and learning summer camp supported by UBC, for queer, trans, two-spirit and allied youth aged 14 – 21 from BC and the Yukon
- Meeting new friends while engaging in imaginative and innovative workshops and fun activities
- A safe and inclusive space where youth can develop leadership skills, build self-esteem, inspire each other, foster hope and resilience, and connect with resources to support their health and well-being
- All about fun, friends, nature, learning, leadership, community, support & resources, health & well-being, & social change!
Where & How? On Zoom! All sessions will have closed captioning. Folks can have cameras ON or OFF, and folks can attend as much or little of a session as they are able to! We hope to make this as accessible as possible. Contact us if you need help accessing technology or internet.
Please contact us with any questions, and for help finding technology and internet in a community near you so that you can join us this season.