YMCA Mind Fit, in partnership with organizations across the province, is a 8-week program for teens ages 13-19 with mild to moderate symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. Participants, in a small group setting of 10-12 teens, will have an opportunity to connect with and learn from others in their community who are going through similar experiences. YMCA Mind Fit is run out of the Westhills Y (Langford).
A Youth Clinician runs a one-hour session focused on mental health topics and facilitate activities and discussions to support participants in learning healthy life coping skills. Following this, a Y fitness staff leads the group in fitness initiatives to support participants to increase their physical activity and build social connections, tailoring sessions to meet group and individual needs. Participants receive a free YMCA-YWCA Vancouver Island membership for the duration of the program.
- Current student in School District 62
- Experiencing depression, low mood, anxiety, worry, stress (a formal diagnosis is not required)
- Participate in an information session
- All fitness levels welcome
- Opportunity to try a new physical activity every week
- Make new friends and have fun
- Mind Fit is FREE; Y membership is not required
- Participants receive a complimentary 12-week YMCA-YWCA Vancouver Island gym membership
- Learn from experienced professionals how to manage mental health in a safe environment
At the information session, eligible participants will meet program staff, participate in a one-to-one interview and complete intake and assessment forms. Following the information session, Y staff will contact all applicants to notify them of their status.
Westhills (Langford) – Tuesday April 2nd or 9th, 2019, 4:00-6:00pm
Registration is required to attend the information session
Westhills (Langford) – April 16 to June 4, 2019 (weekly on Tuesdays 4:00-6:00pm)
1319 Westhills Drive
Attending an information session is mandatory prior to participating in the program. Register for an upcoming information session by emailing us (please include your contact information and birth date).