Island Health and the Aboriginal Employment Program acknowledge with respect and humility the Coast Salish, Nuu-chah-nulth and Kwakwaka’wakw People on whose unseeded traditional territories we offer our services and programs.
Island Health is committed to identifying and addressing the historical and ongoing health impacts of colonization and Indigenous specific racism. Island Health recognizes that employment and education are key determinants of health. The goal of our Aboriginal Employment program is to promote a culturally safe work environment while focusing on recruiting and retaining Aboriginal employees to ensure that our workforce resembles the communities we serve.
Our Aboriginal Employment Vision
We want our workforce to resemble the population we serve more closely. That is why Island Health’s plans for the future embody respect, understanding and recognition of Aboriginal peoples.
Island Health is recognized as a leader in employment in the community and an Aboriginal "employer of choice". Given that Island Health is the largest employer on Vancouver Island, it is likely to be the largest employer of Aboriginal peoples on Vancouver Island.
What is in your future? Choose your path.
Health care provides many challenging and rewarding jobs. Find out about the path to one of these careers and about the importance of family support and mindset in achieving your goals.
Watch these videos to learn about the journey to careers in health care:
- Krisandra Gomez on becoming a Registered Nurse
- Dr. Evan Adams
- Career Trek BC - highlights career opportunities in health care across British Columbia
- Career Observations Program North Island Hospital Campbell River & District - highlights the program to bring in high school students to experience what it's like to work in a hospital setting
How we can help
- read our Aboriginal Employment Program brochure
- contact one of our Aboriginal Employment Advisors
- invite us to a job fair
- set up an Aboriginal Health Career Workshop
- read our Aboriginal Job Seekers Handbook
- apply for a job with Island Health
New Job Postings
If you would like to be added to our email list to receive the new job posting lists directly, email:
Visit the Career Journeys First Nations Role Model Program website.
Read our 10 Reasons to Choose a Career in Health Care.
Learn about career options in the Healthcare Career Directory.
Train to be a health care professional in 1 year or less.
Train to be a health care professional in 2 years or more.
250-519-7700 (local 13481)
Like us on Facebook!